If your relationship breaks down, it is important to have friendly and approachable lawyers who can not only provide you with specialist advice, but will strive to ensure you achieve the best result possible.

We have the skills and experience to provide expert advice in relation to all areas of family law including:

  • Property Settlements
  • Children’s living arrangements
  • Paternity/DNA
  • Recovery Orders
  • Complex property disputes
  • Child Maintenance and Support
  • Applications for Protection Orders
  • Breach of Domestic Violence Orders
  • Mediation

Our team of solicitors will listen to you to gain a full understanding of your needs. We will keep you fully informed of your options, rights and responsibilities. It is paramount to us that you receive specialist advice which is practical and realistic. We will not tell you what you want to hear, we will tell you what you need to hear. We take a holistic approach to family breakdown to ensure that you are able to move forward with your life in a confident and positive way, having achieved an outcome which is appropriate and that is right for you.

We can assist you to negotiate or mediate a settlement and are focussed on helping you resolve your matter in a timely way. There are, of course, some instances where there is no other option but to go to court. If those circumstances arise, we will give you the advice you need and tirelessly represent you in your court proceedings.

At McKays, we believe that help is not restricted to legal advice alone and we will work closely with your preferred advisors such as accountants, financial advisors and superannuation and taxation specialists to ensure that the advice you receive is right for you and your financial situation.

We have represented clients who live interstate and overseas. Family law is the same throughout Australia, so distance is no barrier. We have available technology such as emails and Skype which mean that we can obtain your instructions and provide superior service without you needing to come into our office.

What to do before you say I do...

A couple needs to carefully plan for some important legal issues. Practical issues like: How do I change my surname? Do I need to change my passport? Life changing issues like: I had a house before we met, can I keep that if we separate? Is a pre-nuptial agreement binding? What happens to my assets if I am seriously injured? What about my children if I die? This guide will help give you peace of mind about what will happen if you separate and what will happen if you die or are seriously injured. It will also help in avoiding unnecessary legal expenses.

Download Guide

Sign up to our newsletter.

Sign up now

These community organisations may be of help to you.
  • Domestic Violence Resource Service
  • Income and Financial Support
  • Counselling
  • Mediation/Dispute Resolution
  • Free Legal Assistance

Domestic Violence Resource Service

If you are suffering from domestic violence, the Domestic Violence Resource Service may be able to assist you with counselling, court applications and general court support.

Sydney Street, Mackay
Telephone: (07) 4957 3888

Income and Financial Support

If you are not working and have a low income you may be entitled to a Centrelink pension or benefit. If you need money urgently you may be eligible for special benefits from Centrelink.

You can apply for these benefits at your local Centrelink branch or visit their website.


Separation is a difficult time for everyone involved and you or your children may benefit from counselling. Relationships Australia and Centacare are two community based counselling services available to you, or alternatively, see the yellow pages for a list of private counsellors in your area.

Relationships Australia
45 Victoria Street, Mackay
Telephone: 1300 364 277

Centacare Mackay
72A Sydney Street
Telephone: (07) 4957 2533


Mediation/Dispute Resolution

Once you are informed about your entitlement you may benefit from attending mediation or dispute resolution in an attempt to reach an agreement between yourselves.

In children's matters it is compulsory that you attend dispute resolution and gain a certificate before you can make any application to the court.

Dispute Resolution Centre
4 George Street, Mackay
Telephone: 49674404 or 1800 501576

Family Relationships Centre
35 Milton Street, Mackay Telephone: (07) 4951 4555
5 Markeri Street, Mermaid Beach, Qld 4218 Telephone: 1300 364 277


Relationships Australia
45 Victoria Street, Mackay
Telephone: 1300 364 277

Free Legal Assistance

You may be eligible for Legal Aid.

Legal Aid
17 Brisbane Street, Mackay
Telephone: 1300 651 188

Mackay Community Legal Centre
Suite 4, City Court Arcade
80 Victoria Street, Mackay
Telephone: (07) 4953 1211



  • Agricultural & Rural
  • Asset Protection
  • Commercial & Business
  • Credit Management / Debt Collection
  • Energy, Resources & Mining
  • Property & Development
  • Criminal Law & Traffic Law
  • Deceased Estates
  • Family Law
  • Residential Property
  • Wills & Estate Planning