Many pitfalls and complications can arise in dealing with farms or rural properties. Our lawyers have the expertise and industry knowledge to guide you through the many day to day and strategic issues which you will have to navigate as a farmer, business owner or landowner in the agricultural or rural sector.

We will work closely with you to gain a full understanding of your business and the issues affecting the rural and farming sectors, to provide tailored legal advice specific to your needs. Our approach minimises the stress involved in dealing with a legal issue, allowing you to focus on the growth of your own business.

Farming and Agribusiness

We can advise you in relation to:

  • Buying and selling farms and farming properties, including sugarcane, cattle (beef and dairy), grains, cotton, small crops, etc.
  • Preparing Share Farming Arrangements
  • Preparing Partnership Agreements
  • Preparing Joint Venture Agreements
  • Preparing Shareholders Agreements
  • Leasing your farm or farming equipment
  • Business Structuring
  • Asset Protection
  • Sale and purchase of livestock, permits and machinery associated with the change of ownership of pastoral land
  • The Personal Property Securities Regime
  • Workplace health and safety issues, including advice on procedural issues pursuant to the Work Health and Safety Act
  • Employment law issues such as salary and wage negotiations, enterprise bargaining, employment contracts and working with contractors and subcontractors
  • Industrial Relations issues including termination issues and unfair dismissal claims
  • Disputes and court cases including liability claims such as WorkCover claims, disputes with contractors and debt collection
  • Environmental Law issues, for example licensing issues with the Environmental Protection Act
  • Succession planning and intergenerational farm transfers
  • Will/s & Estate Planning
  • Family Law Matters
  • Establishing a Self Managed Superannuation Fund

Rural land

We offer expert advice relating to:

  • Rural residential and non-residential subdivisions
  • Land titling issues, both freehold land and crown leasehold land
  • Applications to government departments to convert crown leasehold land into freehold land
  • Procedural issues under the Water Act and regulations, including transferring water licences/allocations, subdividing parts of water allocations and disputes regarding water licences/allocations with third parties and government agencies
  • Resumption disputes (such as those under the Acquisition of Land Act) by local governments and government owned corporations
  • Mining exploration permits and the implication of those permits pursuant to the Mineral Resources Act and related regulations

We are local lawyers, with long standing links to the rural and farming communities and we understand the pressures that you are faced with. Contact us today for more information on how we can help you.




Asset Protection...Client Guide

Asset protection is about reviewing the way you carry on your business, trade or profession, how you own your private and business assets and how to ensure that if the worst occurs, you do not lose everything you have worked so hard to create. Our client guide will help you understand how you can protect your assets.

Download Guide

Wills & Powers of Attorney...Client Guide

A Will is the cornerstone of an effective transfer of assets on death - it puts you in charge of important decisions now about what you want to happen to your affairs after you die. Our client guide will help you understand everything you need to know about making a Will or a Power of Attorney.

Download Guide

Sign up to our newsletter.

Sign up now

Transfer Duty and Possible Concessions

Transfer duty (previously called stamp duty) is a tax imposed on transactions of real property or chattels. The State Government charges transfer duty based on the sale price of the property.–The contract of sale typically passes on the requirement to pay the duty to the buyer.The question of how much duty is payable depends on the sale price with the percentage scale increasing with the sale price.Depending on the nature of the transaction, certain concessions and exemptions may be available to you.

Click here to calculate transfer duty on your new farm or rural property.

For those transferring a farm or part of a farm to another family member, you may be eligible to apply for a concession to reduce your duty to Nil. To find out more follow this link:

To download the form to apply for the primary production concession to transfer a family business click on

What if your not an Australia Citizen or Permanent Resident?

If you are looking at buying a farm or rural property but aren’t an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, please click on the below link to find out if you are eligible to sign a contract now or whether you need to insert a special condition into the contract to make your contract subject to you obtaining approval from the Foreign Investments Board before locking yourself into the purchase.If you cannot find the information you are looking for on this link, please feel free to contact one of our friendly team who can assist you further.

Foreign Investors Board -

  • Agricultural & Rural
  • Asset Protection
  • Commercial & Business
  • Credit Management / Debt Collection
  • Energy, Resources & Mining
  • Property & Development
  • Criminal Law & Traffic Law
  • Deceased Estates
  • Family Law
  • Residential Property
  • Wills & Estate Planning